Saturday, August 6, 2022

Stephens Gap Pulldown

I led a trip today. I definitely didn't want to and didn't know I was in charge. But that's what happens when you cave for a decade. People think you know things. 😆 And I suppose I do. 

I reluctantly took people with shiny new vertical gear to Stephens Gap. Selfishly, I just wanted to go on the pulldown route with nice people. I wasn't planning to teach anyone anything. But once I realized I was in charge, I decided to do the thing properly. 

We attended a last minute vertical practice to make sure people were ready and see what skill level I could expect of the new froggers. I honestly had a panic attack because I haven't enjoyed caving much since my attack. If I didn't even know if I wanted to cave, how could I lead a group? But I sat with it for a day and decided to at least try. 

After I saw enough skills that I didn't think my group would die, I agreed to meet them at the parking lot. And I hiked in, geared to the teeth, for most eventualities. (Pulleys, first aid gear, extra ropes, webbing, spare batteries, extra food, hypothermia gear. No one was dying on me.) 

We rigged the ledge over the entrance so that the new vertical cavers could practice rappelling and then walk out if they wanted. I hate watching my husband rappel. He's competent, but I know too much about how many ways there are to die. And I can't control everything. So, it's anxiety inducing to see him confidently tell me he doesn't need the sixth bar on rappel. 🙈 

Then, I coached three people over the edge. I am so proud of my friend Helen, who overcame a lot of fear to rappel today. She's been gunshy, but steadily moving forward to become vertical. 
If we'd done nothing else all day, I'd have been satisfied. 

But we also went to do the pulldown route I wanted to revisit. I nearly died last time I was in it. On that trip, the leader seemed to have a death wish in the high water of April. And I became caught on a safety line in the third drop in such a way that I couldn't release myself and I couldn't pull myself up because the water was beating me down and stealing my heat. (For those of you who know the cave, the water was shooting out of the drop, and I didn't realize there were drop downs to approach the bolt because there was so much water.) 

And I wanted to experience it all in low water, with safe people. I took two experienced cavers and two of the new cavers. I was in charge of the rigging plan, which still feels strange to me. I'm still looking around for an adultier-adult. But I rigged an alpine butterfly pulldown with a carabiner. And I mother henned everyone. "Not the knot!" (If you rig into the wrong side of this, you die because the rigging is designed to pull the rope behind you from the bottom.) 

I'm not afraid anymore. I exist in adrenaline with PTSD. So, dropping into the first waterfall is as calm as walking to class. The spiders that would normally have me shrieking are only a slight unease now. (I do hate walking into webs still.) 

I forgot that the second drop required a step across to get to the bolt. I think it was full of water last time and didn't seem so scary, though that's definitely worse. I didn't want to step across, so the guys tossed me the rope. But that meant if I didn't maneuver correctly, I would swing out and into the chasm walls. So, I rigged in and moved laterally until I was positioned under the bolt and wouldn't swing. Then, I rappelled to the bottom of the second drop. 

As the first down, I had a wait, and I went to see what I could in the tunnel. I found an interesting larva in a water droplet, clinging to existence on the wall. In a decade of caving, I had never seen that! 
And I saw so many ammonites! I just finished reading a book with a whole chapter on them, and I remembered how much of their actual structure is still a mystery. Stone only captures so much. 

I was anxious about the third drop. The spot that tried to kill me. I was shocked as we approached the bolt on a safety line, and I realized there was a five foot drop and four foot drop to get to the bolt. I couldn't see that last drop at all last time in the torrent, and it almost killed me. 

This time I gingerly lowered myself. And I double-checked the rope. Not the knot. Not the knot. I swung out, tested my rappel rack, and rappelled. It was so much less insane today with a trickling fall. I didn't nearly die of hypothermia before having to rig in while still uncoordinated.

Relieved to see my four companions on the ground with me, we gathered the rope and exited into the main chamber--my favorite cave room. And my friend Helen was there, smiling and waiting. And I was shocked to be smiling back and truly meaning it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment